There are four key phases when dealing with failure; anticipate, recognize, manage, learn. Because failure is inevitable (and also a key component within the leadership continuum), how you deal with each stage will determine how much success will come to your enterprise.
How to Anticipate Failure:
1. Run a "red team exercise"
2. Set markers
3. Build enforced accountability
How to Recognize Failure:
1. Don't cancel accountability meetings
2. Treat data as information
3. Get outside view
How to Manage Failure:
1. Don't procrastinate
2. Separate yourself from 'it"
3. Apply triage principles
4. Make the decision: fix, finish, scrap
How to Learn From Failure:
1. Have constructive postmortems
2. Learn the lessons
3. Move on
Download the first chapter of Do Lead for free today and get started on your leadership journey.
Follow us on the following networks for even more leadership tips.